With the availability of Tax Settings, Merchants now have the ability to indicate the jurisdictions where they have obligations to remit indirect tax (e.g. sales tax, GST and VAT) on sales in the United States, Canada, and Europe.
Starting May 14, 2019, Wish will display and provide merchants with the payment of the estimated indirect tax remittance amounts for their configured US jurisdictions in Tax Settings, with the exception of tax authorities where Wish is registered as a Marketplace and is collecting the appropriate tax.
The estimated indirect tax remittance amounts for applicable US orders will be collected from customers (as a separate sales tax line item at checkout), and included in the merchant’s next scheduled payment (subject to Payment Eligibility terms). Merchants may view the estimated indirect tax remittance amounts for applicable orders in their Order History, Order Details pages, and payment invoices.
In the coming weeks, Tax Settings will be updated to allow merchants to export tax reports for these applicable transactions within an indicated date range. More details will be shared when available.
Please do not supply indirect tax registration information in areas where you do not believe indirect tax applies to your sales on Wish.com. Merchants are ultimately responsible for correctly identifying their filing obligations in the Tax Settings and ensuring their sales tax/VAT compliance obligations are met and returns are submitted accurately.
To activate Tax Settings, follow the step-by-step guide below.
1. Navigate to the Tax settings page on Merchant Dashboard. Click “Set up now” to start:
2. Next, select your country of domicile (i.e. place of business), which refers to a place where a company’s principal affairs of business are maintained. In this example, we select the United States from the drop-down menu as our country of domicile. Click “Continue” when done.
3. Then merchants are able to select their destination countries or regions they sell and ship products to. In this example, we select the United States as our destination country:
Click “Continue” to move to the next step.
4. In the next page, merchants are asked to select the jurisdictions where they have indirect tax (e.g. sales tax, GST and VAT) obligations.
Note that some areas may have subjurisdiction-level settings for merchants to select. For example, in Alaska, merchants have the ability to edit Nexus in certain counties, cities, and districts within the state of Alaska by clicking on the pencil icon:
Merchants are ultimately responsible for correctly identifying their filing obligations in the Tax Settings. Do not supply indirect tax registration information in areas where you do not believe indirect tax applies to your sales on Wish.com. For the purpose of this example, let’s select “California”. Click “Continue”.
5. Merchants then fill in their Tax Identification Number (TIN) for each region or state selected:
Please be sure to enter the correct TIN information. Click “Continue” to move forward.
6. The next page allows you to view a summary of the tax information you’ve entered. Click the checkbox at the bottom to indicate your agreement that you are responsible for the accuracy of any information you’ve provided and for the collection, reporting, and payment of all taxes to the appropriate authorities. You also agree to the Wish Merchant Tax Policy by clicking “Submit”:
7. In the popup modal that follows, click “Summit”:
8. You’re then redirected back to the Tax settings homepage, where you can view your submitted tax information, edit tax settings, or delete certain tax settings:
Once the status of your tax setting changes from “Submitted” to “Saved”, Wish has saved your tax information going forward, and will provide tax reporting for your applicable orders at a future date.
To receive support for issues with your Tax Settings, please email Wish at email@example.com. When you reach out, please include your merchant ID and a description of the issues you encounter; be sure to copy your Account Manager in your email as well, so we can review and address your question in a timely manner.