Wish products appear in external shopping searches, so it is important you have what Wish refers to as a “clean image” to clearly represent your products.
Use the Merchant Dashboard to choose a clean image, which is a high-quality image that should meet specific criteria to potentially drive impressions and sales.
This FAQ guides you through clean image criteria and how to select a qualified clean image.
Click on the question to be taken directly to the answer:
1. Why should I select a clean image?
We introduced the functionality to choose a clean image in order to help you derive more potential impressions and sales for your products from external sites or ad platforms. Therefore, the clean image you select will only be used for marketing purposes on external sites / ad platforms and will not change or impact the product images you have already uploaded or the image order.
However, selecting a low-quality clean image may result in your product becoming ineligible for future impression-driving opportunities on external sites or ad platforms.
2. Is a clean image the same as the main image displayed on Wish?
No, a clean image is specifically designated as such in the Merchant Dashboard, and its only use is for surfacing in external shopping searches. As noted above, it also has no impact on the product images you have already uploaded to Wish. The one exception, however, is that you can use an existing image/main image as your clean image, so long as it meets the clean image criteria (as listed below).
3. What are the guidelines for a clean image?
Generally, select a large, high-quality, high-resolution image that accurately represents the item sold. Make sure that the image is clear and easy to see; the goal is for any reasonable customer to clearly and easily discern what is being sold. If you showcase the item among other props, make sure that the item being sold stands out.
More specifically, some suggested guidelines are as follows:
- Format as a JPEG (.jpg/.jpeg), WebP (.webp), PNG (.png), GIF (.gif), BMP (.bmp), and TIFF (.tif/.tiff)
- Submit large, high-resolution, full-size images. The recommended image size is at least 800 x 800 pixels. Other criteria:
- Images at least 500 x 500 pixels
- No image larger than 64 megapixels
- No image file larger than 16MB
- Do not scale up images or use thumbnails
- Exclude watermarks and logo overlays
- Remove any borders around the image
- Frame the product in the image space so that it takes up no less than 75%, but not more than 90% of the full image.
- Represent the product in a clear, accurate way so it is easy to see and understand its use
- Limit the image to just the product being sold, unless it’s a bundle
- Avoid or limit props/staging, but if that is unavoidable, be sure the product for sale is easy to distinguish
- Use a solid white or transparent, gray, or light-colored background so the product stands out
4. What are examples of high-quality clean images?
5. What are examples of low-quality clean images?
Selecting a low-quality clean image may result in your product becoming ineligible for future opportunities on external shopping platforms. The following shows what not to do for your clean image:
- Collages that do not showcase and highlight the item being sold.
- Low-resolution images.
- Cluttered images (those with props/staging) that make it hard for customers to discern what is being sold. You may use props for your main product, but avoid letting props stand out more than the product being sold.
6. How do I select a clean image for my product?
When adding new products or updating existing products in the Merchant Dashboard, you can select a clean image via manual upload, CSV, or API.
To manually select a clean image when adding a new product:
- Navigate to the Merchant Dashboard > Products > Add New Product.
- Upload the main image and extra images in the "Images" section.
- Hover over the image that you would like to set as the clean image, and click "Mark as Clean Image," as shown below:
As noted earlier, you can select any image (main or extra) as the product’s clean image, and it will not affect the images displayed on Wish.
The clean image can be edited before the product appears in shopping searches.
To manually select a clean image for an existing product:
- Navigate to the Merchant Dashboard > Products > View All Products.
- Locate the product listing you want to add a clean image to and (on the far right) click on “Actions” to select “Edit Listing."
- Click on the "clean image" button under the chosen image, or upload a new image. (See screenshot below.)
- “Save” your choice (top right).
Once you select a clean image, a badge appears next to the product in the View All Products view:
This badge, however, is not customer-facing.
If the product is a promoted product, you are unable to upload a new clean image for that product, but you are allowed a one-time edit to make a clean image selection.
To select a clean image via API: Follow instructions under API > Products to "Create a product" or "Update a product," and use the parameter is_clean_image (true or false).
To GET a product's clean image via API: The following endpoints will return the clean_image previously set for a given product.
7. If I choose a clean image from one of the many SKUs of my product, how will the potential drive in sales and impressions be distributed?
Your entire product has the potential to receive more sales and impressions when selecting a clean image from the extra image, variation SKU image, or main image of the product.
8. Will the product be reviewed again after I select a clean image?
The action of selecting a clean image itself does not necessarily result in the product being re-reviewed. However, the product listing is still subject to all existing Merchant Policies.